In this video we sort through our light and fast gear for alpine climbs and mountaineering. The theme throughout our alpine segment has been speed and safety, through being light and fast.
Below are examples of gear you may consider (depending on the objective) that are both light and fast as well as safe for most terrain and conditions:
- Lightweight alpine hiking boots
- Aluminum crampons (if you’ll be using them exclusively on snow)
- Ice axe w/ aluminum shaft and steel head
- Water resistant, wind-proof shell
- Lightweight alpine harness (Black Diamond Couloir, Mammut Zephir Altitude harness, or similar)
- Foam polycarbonate helmet
- Minimal first aid & repair kit (headlamp, tape, lighter, multi-tool)
- Backpack (under 2 lbs.)
- Foam pad for sleeping
- Lightweight stove (jetboil) + small fuel can (2 oz per person / day)
- Water bottle - reused gatorade bottle vs. nalgene
- Food - minimal bars, gel, or goo (1 qt ziplock bag OR 2 lbs per person / day)
- Heat blanket or siltarp type shelter
Consider these options when packing for your alpine & mountaineering adventure to help achieve the goal of going very light, fast and efficient while still having everything required to be safe.
We hope you found this video helpful. Feel free to comment below with questions or thoughts!
Please remember, climbing is inherently dangerous. Climb at your own risk.