Proper technique for how to clip into a quickdraw while gym lead climbing:
1. Know which way the carabiner gate is facing (left or right) on the quickdraw you’re approaching. In this instance assume the gate faces right.
2. Reach down with your right hand to the knot (where you’re tied in) at your waist, and take out an arm-length of rope.
3. Balance rope over your middle finger and index finger, while clamping it with your ring finger and pinky.
4. With the same hand, control the carabiner and clip the rope into the gate. It’s important to avoid placing your finger into the gate!
If clipping in with your left hand, on a right facing gate:
1. Reach down with your left hand to the knot at your waist, and take out an arm-length of rope.
2. Flip the rope, capture the carabiner with your middle finger, squeeze the rope with your index finger and thumb, and maneuver the rope into the gate. Again, avoid placing your finger in the gate.
See above video for demonstration of clipping in with both the right and left hands.
We hope you found this video helpful. Feel free to comment below with questions or thoughts!
Please remember, climbing is inherently dangerous. Climb at your own risk.